Lotus silk is an extremely rare and highly exclusive textile. The scarf is crafted purely from the stems of lotus flowers that grow in abundance on Inle Lake in Myanmar.
The lotus stems are harvested by hand in the rainy season. The delicate fibres are extracted by hand from the lotus stems and rolled into the threads needed to weave the scarves. It takes the fibres of five long lotus stems to produce about 50 centimetres of lotus silk. It takes at least a week to make one lotus stem silk scarf.
Not only admired for its beauty, the lotus flower is the Buddhist symbol for purification of the spirit. It has been claimed that wearing lotus silk will calm you and make you more meditative. It is also claimed that lotus silk has healing properties.
This scarf is vegetable dyed using natural ingredients to create this vivid green colour. It is also available undyed (natural) and indigo.
- Woven by artisans working on traditional hand operated looms in a small workshop on Inle Lake, Shan State.
- Approximately 33cm x 175cm long.
- Each scarf comes in its own handmade cotton envelope bag which can vary in colour.
- Read our detailed blog about our lotus scarves here.
- Free shipping to the UK, Europe, US, India, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.